Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Take A Tasty Break...With Tastykake! (And Betty White!)

Hello there, FVA! I just realized it has been over two months since I posted a "real" entry, and I apologize for slacking. But here I am, with a new entry featuring another regional product...and America's Sweetheart, Betty White.

The woman featured in this entry enjoyed a resurgence of popularity last year, when a Facebook campaign pushing for her to host SNL went viral. As an actress, she acted in some of the most influential sitcoms (Mary Tyler Moore in the 1970s, The Golden Girls in the 1980s) of the 20th century. Her career has spanned nearly seven decades, and at 89 years old she's still going strong.

At one point in her extensive career, she did a few spots for Tastykake. Tastykake is a company that makes some...well, tasty cakes. The company began in Philadelphia in 1914 and its products are sold primarily in the Mid-Atlantic and Northeastern United States. They are part of what I like to call the Philly Phood Triphecta - cheesestakes, soft pretzels, and Tastykakes (my favorite are butterscotch or jelly-filled Krimpets).

This first spot is from the Philly Food Show. This video also features a commercial starring former Phillie Mike Schmidt. I'm not sure of the year, but the video screams 1970s:



Here's another spot with our beloved Betty, telling us about Tastykake's commitment to using only the best and freshest ingredients:



So go ahead...take a Tasty Break...with Tastykake!

2 comments:

Patrick Neelin said...

I've never had a Tastykake before, but after watching those commercials I would do pretty much anything to get one.

JR said...

They are so delicious. When I have some funds I'm going to send you a Tasty package!

Post a Comment