Friday, January 28, 2011

BUMPERPALOOZA, PART TWO: We'll be back after these quick messages. Sheesh!

Welcome, friends. Today, we continue our bumpercentric blog-arc by talking about Dynamo Duck. For those who don't remember, our bird friend was used by Fox Kids back in 1992. Bridging the gap between cartoons and commercials, Dynamo was always on some sort of exciting adventure.


What I was surprised to learn, though, is that Dynamo's origins go back much further than 1992. Dynamo was created by a French film maker by the name of Jean Tourane back in the 60's. Back then, our feathery little friend was known as Saturnin le canard. It wasn't until many years later that the footage was purchased by Fox and edited into a series of bumpers and two-minute shorts.


Dynamo's probably best known for his trademark voice, played by Dan Castellaneta, who voices many of the Simpsons characters.



While I don't remember seeing Dynamo during Saturday morning cartoons (Saturday mornings were all about ABC for me), I remember seeing him a lot in my after-school cartoons. Everyday, when I'd watch my Tiny Toons, Animaniacs, and Fox's Peter Pan, I knew that Dynamo would be there, about to embark on some sort of wacky adventure.

Sure, he may have faded away into obscurity. And sure, his puns may have been pretty terrible, but I say that it doesn't take away any of his awesomeness. Dynamo, my friend, you were one hell of a duck.

If you're interested in checking out some more of Dynamo Duck's five second bumpers, go check him out at Retrojunk. I wanted to use the Retrojunk video, but I didn't like the way it automatically started to play!

1 comments:

Wordfiend said...

I'd never even heard of Dynamo Duck, but he sure is cute.

Post a Comment