Tuesday, December 7, 2010

FVA’s Christmas Ad-Stravaganza, Part Three of Hopefully More Than One - CANADIAN EDTION!

Hello again, my dear readers!

As many of my readers probably know, I grew up in Ontario, Canada. The winters up there were cold and snowy, but we always dealt with it. It’s become somewhat of a joke, as you can see in this Midas commercial.



Ok, this ad isn’t old. And sure, maybe it’s not Christmas related. It’s still pretty damn funny, though. I remember laughing my ass off when I saw it for the first time. Can any of my Canadian readers tell me if they still air this?

All jokes aside, winter tires are important. Make sure that your tires are in good shape, and drive safe this winter.



Now, I don’t remember any specific commercial from this series, but I sure remember them airing all the time around the holidays. For those of you who aren’t in the know, Canadian Tire isn’t simply an auto parts store. It’s a place of wonder, combining auto parts with discount-quality home improvement goods. You need tools? Go to Canadian Tire. You need sporting goods? Go to Canadian Tire. You need tires? You could go to Canadian Tire, although I wouldn’t recommend it.

Back in the 1980’s and 90’s, Ebenezer Scrooge would appear in the Canadian Tire Christmas commercials. Before he was visited by the three spirits of Christmas, he wasn’t exactly known for his over-the-top spending habits. That’s why he loves Canadian Tire. He was able to buy his gifts, and save lots of money while he did it!



I remember getting a Teddy Ruxpin for Christmas back in 1987. I remember it very clearly, considering I was only three years old at the time. I didn’t believe that it was Christmas that year because there wasn’t any snow on the ground. Teddy Ruxpin was one of my favourite toys for a long, long time. He’s still kicking around, actually. I have him, and several of his tapes, packed away in a box up in Canada.

Well, until next time, stay warm and hug your loved ones. I’ll be back soon with more Christmas fun!

0 comments:

Post a Comment