Thursday, December 2, 2010

FVA's Christmas Ad-Stravaganza, Part Two of Hopefully More Than One

Hello again, my friends!

Now that it's officially December, we can really get into the Christmas spirit around here. I know I already have.

Today, I've got a special treat for you. If you love Christmas carols, and you love the Smurfs, then you're going to love this.




I tried searching the internet looking for an orginal release date for this record, but I couldn't find anything except a track listing. (I didn't look very hard)

I'll be honest with you; there's nothing good about this album. I don't know what kind of drugs people were on in the 80's, but they must have been pretty powerful. How else can you explain why such a record was made? Or even worse, why people would buy it?

I enjoy unnecessary Christmas-related media as much as the next person. I even have my own VHS copy of Pee Wee's Playhouse Christmas Special. Merry Christmas With The Smurfs crosses the line, though. This is just terrible.

If you find that you can't live without this album, don't fret. It's available on iTunes for your listening pleasure. Don't say I didn't warn you.


This next commercial is another favourite of mine. It combines two important pillars of my childhood: Pepsi and Super Mario.



With this cross-promotion between Pepsi and Nintedo comes one of the most fun Christmas commercials of all time. In spot, our hero's on a very important mission. No, Princess Toadstool doesn't need to be rescued. No, King Koopa's not wrecking havoc on the Mushroom Kingdom. Mario's mission is more important than that. Today, he's trying out his new-found Santa power, and spreading joy to everyone in the general store. He's collecting Pepsi instead of coins, and firing out Action Sets, Game Paks, and best of all, the sensational new Game Boy!

I didn't get my Nintendo or my Game Boy until years after this commercial aired. At that age, I wanted nothing more in life than to have my own Nintendo, and this commercial just further strengthened those feelings.

In fact, this commercial looks so fun that if it were an actual game, I'd gladly play it.

Well, that's it for now. I'll be back next week with more Christmas commercials. Until then, stay safe!

0 comments:

Post a Comment